homepage logo

Titan Wrestlers Compete At Irgens Invitational

By Staff | Jan 30, 2014

The Graettinger-Terril/ Ruthven-Ayrshire wrestlers took to the mats over the past weekend at the Herb Irgens Invitational Tournament in Ida Grove. The two-day event saw the Titans earn just three placings in the tourney, which has often been compared to the State Tournament in terms of quality of competition.

The top finisher for the Titans was heavyweight Cody Thompson, who finished third overall with a 5-1 record. Thompson started with a bye and then earned :wins by fall in :20 and :49 before falling victim to Aron King of South Central Calhoun, as he was pinned in 3:07. Thompson came back to score a :40 win by fall and took third with a 2:00 win by fall.

At 132 pounds, Alex Hoffman would finish sixth overall, as he finished with a 4-3 mark. Hoffman received an opening round bye, and won his next match in a :12 fall. However, the Titan would be pinned in :12 and then lost in a 3:36 fall. Hoffman would come back to earn a 7-2 decision win, but lost a 5-3 decision and then had to default due to injury to end his tournament appearance in sixth.

Teammate Ty Gibson would also finish sixth for the Titans at 138 pounds, ending up with a 3-3 mark.

Gibson had a bye in the first round, and earned a 1:20 win by fall and a 1;43 win by fall, but lost a 6-5 decision and then came up short in a 16-11 decision before finishing sixth after losing a 9-3 decision. to round out the placings.

At 106 pounds, Cody Marrlow drew a first-round bye, but was pinned in 4:37 of his first match, and then received a second bye, only to be eliminated from the tournament when he lost a 16-0 Technical Fall to finish 2-2.

Keeven Long, wrestling at 113, also received a bye to start, but would fall victim to a :59 pin before receiving a second bye, but would bow out of the tourney after being pinned in :57 to finish with a 2-2 mark.

For Sam George, a first-round bye at 120 pounds would lead to a 16-0 Technical Fall loss before receiving a second bye and closing out his tournament in a 1:12 loss by fall for a 2-2 mark and no placing.

At 126, Beau Schany had a first round bye but lost his first match, being pinned in 1;32 and after a second bye, Schany would be pinned in 3:10 to end his tournament with a 2-2 record.

Wrestling at 152 pounds, Tyler Hoffman would open his tournament appearance with a 2:57 win by fall over Wyatt Brink of Lawton-Bronson and then earned an 11-8 decision win over Lucas Smith-Peterson of Audubon, but a loss by fall in 4:26 and an 8-2 decision loss would keep Hoffman from earing a placing with his 2-2 record.

Hunter Brown would earn a first-round bye, but was then pinned in 1:56 and then was eliminated in a 13-7 decision loss.

In action at 170 pounds, Matt McGrauth drew a first-round bye, but was pinned in 1L28 of his first match. McGrauth would earn a second bye and then tallied a 10-9 decision win before he was eliminated from the tournament in a 1:54 fall to end the tournament, despite a 3-2 record.

Kodi Ferguson, wrestling at 182 pounds, had a first-round bye in the tournament, but lost his first match in a :30 fall before receiving a second bye. Ferguson would then tally a 4:00 win by fall, but was eliminated from placing when he was pinned in 3:58 to finish with a 3-2 mark.

For Nate Harris, his tournament began with a bye in the opening round at 195 pounds, but he would be pinned in 4:16 by Matt Naig of Sibley-Ocheyedan. Harris would draw a second bye in the tournament, and then earned a 2:32 win by fall only to be eliminated from placing when he was pinned in 3:46 to finish with a 3-2 mark.

It was a similar story for the Titan’s Kyle Long at 220 pounds, as he earned an opening-round bye and then claimed a 4:53 win by fall before being pinned in 4:01, and then being eliminated in a 3:30 fall to finish the tournament.