homepage logo

Raiders Down Wolverines With Last Second Heroics

By Staff | Jan 12, 2012

RA/GT’s Austin Dyer flies to the bucket past Wolverine Jesse Zinnel during action in Tuesday’s in-county matchup of the Raiders and Wolverines at Graettinger. --Dan Voigt photo

GRAETTINGER – A lot can happen in less than a second. Proof in point – the final :00.6 of Tuesday’s game between Ruthven-Ayrshire/Graettinger-Terril and West Bend-Mallard/ Gilmore City-Bradgate.

The Raiders went from trailing 51-53 to tying the game and then winning the contest by a 55-53 margin in that :00.6 – but only after about five real minutes of drama.

The meeting of the two teams was hard-fought from the opening tipoff. Both teams struggled with ball control and shooting, as the Wolverines would take a 10-9 lead at the end of the first quarter, but the Raiders would find their shooting touch in the second frame to take a 26-21 lead at half time.

The Wolverines would outscore RA/GT in the third quarter by a 20-14 margin to retake the lead at 41-40 to start the final quarter. Both teams would get good looks at the bucket in the final quarter, but super-aggressive defense would keep the game even as the clock ticked down.

With the game tied at 51-51 with :11 to go, Kolten Goodchild was fouled, but missed the front of a one-and-one. But in the flurry for the rebound, the Raiders lost the ball to Goodchild, who nailed the put-back bucket for a 53-51 lead for the Wolverines.

The Raiders raced downcourt and as the clock hit :00.6, Mitch Girres drove the baseline and hit a desperation shot to tie the game and draw a foul to tie the game at 53-.53.

The foul call drew an outburst from the Wolverine bench, which was assessed a Technical Foul.

Girres stepped to the line and made the foul shot for a 54-53 lead before a timeout.

After the timeout, Girres returned to the line and missed the first shot, but nailed the second shot for a 55-53 score. But on the rebound, the Raiders’ Garrett Parker was fouled and went to the line for a one-and-one. Parker missed the front end and the Wolverines got the rebound and immediately called their final timeout.

On the inbounds play , the Wolverines got the ball in and heaved a desperation shot that missed at the buzzer for the 55-53 final.

For the Raiders, Austin Dyer led with 19 points while Colin Leiting added 16 tallies and Mitch Girres came away with 12 points. Carter Williamson would score five points, while Garrett Parker added two points and Dylan Fisher scored one point.

West Bend-Mallard/Gil-more City-Bradgate was led by the 14 points of Mitch Bonnstetter, while Christ Schmidt followed with 13 points. Jason Zinnel tallied nine points on the night, while Jesse Zinnel and Jordan Buhs both chipped in six points and Kolten Goodchild added five points.

RA/GT will travel to Corwith-Wesley-LuVerne on Friday night while the Wol-verines will host Clay Central-Everly on Friday.