homepage logo

E-Hawks Down Hawks, West Lyon Is Next

By Staff | Nov 4, 2010

With a big block by teammate Marcus Akridge, Emmetsburg’s Brady Berkland works for a gain as teammate Arik Kerr comes in from the side for more blocking assistance. Berkland would rush for 92 yards and score one touchdown in the E-Hawks 35-21 playoff win over the Hawks on Monday night. -- Dan Voigt photo

Scoring early and scoring often in the first half proved to be the keys to a 35-21 second-round playoff win for the Emmetsburg E-Hawks over Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn on Monday night. The win moves Emmetsburg into an other rematch with a district opponent, this time, the Wildcats of West Lyon, whom Emmetsburg defeated back on Oct. 1 in a 17-10 contest at Inwood.

The two teams will meet up for the quarterfinal playoff contest this Monday evening, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m. at West Lyon High School.

In Monday’s second round playoff contest, the two teams had fresh memories of a game played at Hartley just 10 days earlier, which the E-Hawks took by a 35-17 tally.

Emmetsburg took the opening kickoff and started a time-consuming drive that would be capped off by a two-yard touchdown plunge by Andrew Wellik with 7:40 to go in the game. Ben McCain would add the conversion kick for a 7-0 lead. Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn took the ball at their own 21 after the kickoff and started to drive downfield, but fumbled the ball at their 37 yard line. Austin McCartan jumped on the loose ball to give the E-Hawks excellent field position as the offense came back on the field. Cory Schultes piloted the E-Hawks towards the end zone and with 2:40 to go in the quarter, Brady Berkland got the call for a one yard touchdown dive into the end zone. McCain’s kick was on the mark and Emmetsburg held a 14-0 lead.

Once again the Hawks stared at their own 28 yard line, but were able to earn a first down that would take them to their 45 as the quarter ended.

Facing a fourth and five to open the second frame, HMS?was forced to punt and the E-Hawks started at their own 31 yard stripe. Emmetsburg crossed the midfield and got to the Hawks’ 36, where they faced a fourth and three but couldn’t convert and turne the ball over to the Hawks. HMS?would try to make something happen, but went three and out with a punt.

Starting at their 21 the E-Hawks went on another time consuming drive, as Schultes handed the ball off to Andrew Wellik and Marcus Akridge for punishing runs, along with Brady Berkland. Working downfield, the E-Hawks would be rewarded with 2:17 to go in the half when Schultes kept the ball himself and outran the defenders to the corner pylon for a score from seven yards out. The conversion kick drifted wide, making the score 20-0 as Emmetsburg prepared to kick off.

The Hawks would field the kick at their five yard line and worked their way out to their 33 and punted, but the E-Hawks were called for roughing the kicker to give the Hawks new life.

But on the first down play near midfield, Marcus Akridge blasted through the line and dropped quarterback Cade Harvey for a six-yard loss. The Hawks went nowhere and punted, giving Emmetsburg the ball back to end the first half with the 20-0 advantage.

Kicking off to the Hawks to start the second half, the E-Hawk defense got a treat as the kick was muffed and the Hawks had to start at their own 20. On the first down from scrimmage, the Hawks’ Justin Wohlert fumbled the ball and Marcus Akridge recovered it at the HMS?15 yard line.

With the turnover gift in hand, Akridge finished the job with a 15 yard run for the score. Andrew Wellik ran in the conversion for a 28-0 lead with 11:15 to go in the third frame.

Hartley-Melvin-Sanborn would start on the 35 after the kickoff went out of bounds, and manage to engineer a drive that would culminate with a 25 yard touchdown catch by Cody Leng with 8:31 to go in the quarter. Brett Flynn added the conversion kick and the Hawks had avoided the shutout, but trailed 28-7.

The Hawks attempted an onside kick, only to boot the ball directly into the hands of Tyler Clasing, who grabbed the pigskin at the 42 yard line for the E-Hawks.

After a pickup of a yard on the first play from scrimmage, Andrew Wellik got the handoff from Schultes and found a seam. Wellik hit the jets and raced 57 yards for the score with 7:31 to go in the quarter. Ben McCain’s kick was good and the lead had expanded to 35-7.

On the kickoff, HMS’s Matt Finch slipped as he fielded the ball and was blown dead at the five yard line. Finch spiked the ball in frustration, and drew a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. With the ball moved back to the two-yard line, the Hawks got a 98-yard run from Justin Wohlert down the far sidelines to score with 7:13 to go in the quarter. The conversion kick made the score 35-14 as the E-Hawks prepared for another onside kick.

This time, the Hawks kicked the ball deep and Emmetsburg started at their won 33 yard line. The E-Hawks got out to the 42 but were forced to punt, but the Hawks could do no better and also went three and out, punting back to Emmetsburg.

The E-Hawks started marching downfield after fielding the punt at their 15. A big run by Akridge got the E-Hawks deep into HMS?territory right before the end of the quarter, and a face mask penalty on the Hawks on the tackle gave Emmetsburg a first down at the Hawks’ 20 to start the final quarter.

Emmetsburg worked towards the goal line but with 10:45 to go in the game, Wellik fumbled the football as he was hit at the two yard line and the Hawks recovered it.

With the boost of momentum, the Hawks were able to grind their way downfield to the E-Hawk two yard line, and then faced a fourth and one at the two yard stripe.

Once again, Cody Leng made a grab in the end zone for the two yard touchdown reception and the kick by Flynn made the score 35-21 with 4:51 to play in the contest.

Emmetsburg took over and got to the midfield stripe, where Wellik was tackled. but an HMS player was whistled for striking Wellik in the helmet, and penalized 15 yards for the infraction. The E-Hawks continued to grind their way downfield and got inside the 20 once again, but with 1:24 to go in the game, Wellik was driving for the end zone when he was hit and the ball popped out for a fumble that was recovered by the Hawks at their two yard line.

With time spinning down, Harvey put the ball in the air, only to have Emmetsburg’s Arthur Heldt pick off a pass at the Emmetsburg 41 yard line with :16.9 to go in the game to end the contest.

For the E-Hawks, Andrew Wellik gained 165 yards off 23 carries, while Marcus Akridge added 93 yards off 10 rushes. Brady Berkland picked up 92 yards on 16 carries and Cory Schultes added 24 yards off seven rushing attempts. Arthur Heldt had two carries nd picked up two yards as Emmetsburg racked up a total of 376 yards rushing off 59 plays, while HMS?gained 184 yards on the ground from 37 rushes.

Cory Schultes complted two of three passes for 56 yards, while HMS had 15 of 25 passes for 194 yards in the effort.

Nick Wuebker had a 45 yard reception and Jake Carlson pulled in an 11 yard pass for the E-Hawks.

Defensively, Bobby Gappa and Brady Berkland paced the defense with 12 tackles each, while Arthur Heldt and Ben McCain both made 10 stops each. McCain added a quarterback sack along with Marcus Akridge, while Akridge and Austin McCartan both recovered fumbles and Arthur Heldt intercepted one pass.