homepage logo

Following 2A?District Meet

By Staff | Feb 16, 2010

DISTRICT?CHAMPION - E’Hawk 160 pounder Joey Naig comes around for another takedown against Algona’s Kyle Walker in the 160 pound championship match at Saturday’s Class 2A Districts in Lake Mills. Along with Naig, the E’Hawks send a total of four wrestles to the state tournament this week. -- Dan Voigt photo.

LAKE?MILLS – The competition at Saturday’s Class 2A?District tournament in Lake Mills was just as intense as the upcoming state tournament. But for the E’Hawks of Emmetsburg/Armstrong-Ringsted/Ruthven-Ayrshire, it was a day filled with excitement and disappointment all in one.

The E’Hawks will send four of their number to the State Wrestling Championships at Wells Fargo Arena on Wednesday, but for the other six district qualifiers, it will be another year of waiting for their chance to go to the big show.

Senior Joey Naig was the E’Hawks’ lone district champion on Saturday, while senior Jake Morris, junior Skyler Rice and sophomore Isaac Lundgren all finished as runner ups at their respective weight classes to qualify for the state meet.

The E’Hawks also got third place finishes from freshman Tyler Leuer at 103 pounds and sophomore Justin Studer at 119, along with freshmen Austin McCartan at 145 and Andrew Wellik at 152 pounds. Brady Bailey at 130 pounds and Jake Stubbs at 140 pounds both finished in fourth place.

At 160 pounds, Joey Naig opened with a 3:54 win by fall over Ryan randall of Osage, and then earned a 14-5 major decision win over Kyle Walker of Algona to earn the district championship.

In action at 189 pounds, Jake Morris started the day with a 9-3 decision win over Logan Kellogg of Clear Lake, but in the finals, Morris met up with Dalton Schutjer of Charles City, and despite leading 10-8 going into the final period, Morris was caught and pinned in 4:50 of the match to finish second outright.

Isaac Lundgren began the day with a 14-1 major decision over Alex Brown of Hampton-Dumont in action at 112 pounds, but in the finals match with Jobe Goodale of Osage, Lundgren trailed 4-1 going into the final period and was taken down and pinned by Goodale in 5:39 to earn the outright second place finish.

At 135 pounds, Skyler Rice opened his district tournament with a 2-1 decision win over Tyler Mitchell of Charles City, and in the final, Rice battled Trevor Heihal of Osage to a 3-3 tie at the end of regulation, only to be taken down in the sudden-victory period to lose 5-3 and claim the outright second place finish.

For Justin Studer, third place was a bitter reward for a tough day of wrestling at 119. Studer drew Jacob Colon of Clear Lake in the first round, and despite appearing to have Colon’s shoulders squarely on the mat two different times, was caught by Colon and pinned in 2:52 of the first round.

Studer came back to pin Jake Adams of Algona in 1:20 of the consolation match, and earned the opportunity to wrestle-back for second against Cole Anderson of Forest City, but Anderson would come up with the win by fall over Studer in 1:12 to finish third.

Andrew Wellik also ended up with a tough pill to swallow on the day. In his first round match with Royce Brynes of Northwood-Kensett/Lake Mills, the two wrestlers battled to a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation time. The battle remained even through the first one-minute sudden victory period, and went to the :30 overtime periods, where both Wellik and Byrnes were unable to score. In the seventh period of the match, Byrnes managed to score an escape with just ticks of the clock left to earn the 2-1 win over the E’Hawk.

Wellik would bounce back, taking a 1-0 decision win over Jake Larson of Algona, and wrestled-back against Jordan Dahl of Clear Lake, but lost a 3-1 decision to settle for third place at 152.

At 103 pounds, Tyler Leuer lost his first round match by an 8-2 decision to Matt Bieber of Clear Lake, but pinned Austin Hoeft of Charles City in the consolation match in 2:20, but did not earn a wrestle-back and finished third.

Austin McCartan lost an 11-5 decision in the first round match at 145 against Jake Kopriva of Clear Lake and then met Rick Maris of Spirit Lake Park in the consolation match, where they battled to a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation. In the sudden victory overtime, McCartan would score the takedown to win 3-1 and finish third overall.

Jake Stubbs would be the victim of a 3:14 pin against Brent Blaser of Osage in the first round of action at 140, and in the consolation match, Stubbs was pinned in 3:28 by Eric Spencer of Algona to finish fourth.

And at 130, Brady Bailey lost a 15-2 major decision in the opening match with Brady Horner of Clear Lake before he lost a 4-2 decision to Nick Olthoff of Humboldt to finish fourth for the E’Hawks.