homepage logo

Raider Field Goal Scuttles Wolverines

By Staff | Sep 29, 2009

CLOSE?DEFENSE -- West Bend-Mallard’s Ryan Banwart is right in the mix but Ruthven-Ayrshire’s Ryan Sikora manages to come up with the reception close to the goal line during Friday’s meeting of the two county teams. Sikora would kick a field goal with the clock hitting :00 to give the Raiders a 33-30 win. -- Tim Dahlhauser photo

WEST?BEND – The Raiders of Ruthven-Ayrshire rode the legs and foot of Ryan Sikora to claim a 33-30 win over West Bend-Mallard Friday night. The win is the second of the year for the Raiders, while West Bend-Mallard slips to 1-4 overall on the season with the disappointing loss.

To call the game a wild affair would be an understatement. The contest went back and forth all night long. Ruthven-Ayrshire would score first, getting a pair of touchdowns in the first 3:00 of the contest. The Raiders opened with Michael Sundall scoring off a 40-yard dash after a handoff from Trevin Enderson with 10:40 to go in the first quarter. Ryan Sikora put the conversion kick up and the Raiders led 7-0.

On the ensuing kickoff, West Bend-Mallard was stymied and was forced to punt. The Raiders got a great return from Trevin Enderson that put them inside the Wolverines’ 20-yard line. Ryan Sikora came down with a nice catch for a touchdown and added the kick to put his club up 14-0, with just over 9:00 to go in the quarter.

Now it was the Wolverines’ turn. Starting at their own 15, Andy Riesenberg broke a tackle near the line of scrimmage and went 65 yards to electrify the Wolverines fans. Mitch Bonnstetter ran in the

conversion and it was 14-8 with 8:52 still left in the opening frame.

The WBM defense held and R-A punted, but a fumble would put the Raiders at the Wolverine 30. Taking advantage of the turnover, the Raiders drove to the nine-yard stripe and tried for a field goal, only to have the kick carrom off the upright.

West Bend-Mallard would get the ball back and started a nice drive that used up the remainder of the quarter and capped off with Ethan Fehr hitting Todd Goeders with a six-yard pass for the score with :02 to go. Andy Riesenberg ran the conversion to give the Wolverines a 16-14 lead to start the second quarter in what was shaping up as a real battle.

Ruthven-Ayrshire would take over to start the second quarter, but was forced to punt by the Wolverines’ defense. Fielding the punt at their own 13-yard line, West Bend-Mallard started driving again, grinding downfield on eight plays, and capping off the possession with a throw-back pass from Mitch Bonnstetter to Ethan Fehr for a 40-yard score. Again, Andy Riesenberg trotted in for the two-point addition and a 24-14 lead for the purple and gold.

With just under 7:00 to go in the first half, Ruthven Ayrshire would trade possessions with the Wolverines and get the ball back with 2:24 to go in the half at their own 20 after the defense stopped the Wolverines on a fourth down play.

The Raiders started grinding away and gained a first down and kept their drive going with a combination of runs and short passes, before scoring off another pass play from Trevin Enderson to Ryan Sikora. The conversion kick missed, however, leaving the Raiders trailing 24-20 when the half ended.

West Bend-Mallard got the kick to start the second half, but an interception of an Ethan Fehr pass by the Raiders’ Zach Loring turned into a 14-yard touchdown for Ruthven-Ayrshire. Sikora added the conversion to put the Raiders back on top, 27-24.

West Bend-Mallard would end up punting on the resulting possession, but came up with a big turnover. The Raiders would fumble the ball and Todd Goeders scooped up the loose pigskin and took off for the goal line, 24 yards away to score with 8:05 to go in the third quarter.

The Raiders took over but couldn’t get anything going and were forced to punt. The snap went high and was recovered by Andy Riesenberg at the R-A 15. But, a determined Raider defense came up with a big interception by Ruthven-Ayrshire’s Calvin Pomeroy at the Raiders’ five-yard stripe as the third quarter ended.

Holding a 30-27 advantage, the Wolverines knew the game was far from over and the Raiders were far from finished.

Ruthven-Ayrshire started moving out of the shadow of their own goal posts, only to had their drive killed when a fumble was recovered by Jack

Riesenberg at the Wolverines’ 24-yard line.

West Bend-Mallard would get to the Raiders’ 31, but were turned away on fourth down and the Raiders got the ball back. The battle continued, including an apparent interception by Mitch Bonnstetter that was ruled a simultaneous possession with Ruthven-Ayrshire’s Ryan Sikora, and the stayed alive with their drive at the Wolverines’ 33 yard line.

The drive would stop in the face of the Wolverine defense, but Sikora would kick a 23 yard field goal to tie the game at 30-30 with 3:16 left to play in the contest.

West Bend-Mallard would take over but would punt and give the ball back to the Raiders as the clock became the enemy.

Ruthven-Ayrshire would get the ball back with :46 to play and started at their own 34-yard line with the two-minute drill. Trevin Enderson hit Sikora with a pass to the Wolverine 15 yard line.

With time winding down, the Raiders put their hopes on Sikora’s leg, and with the final :02 on the game clock, the ball was snapped and put on the tee. Sikora ran up, kicked from 28-yards out and the horn sounded as the ball sailed between the uprights for the 33-30 victory.

For the Raiders, 224 yards were gained off 43 rushing plays, while West Bend-Mallard gained 184 yards off 36 carries. In the air, Trevin Enderson completed six of 15 passes for 135 yards, while Ethan Fehr completed three of 11 passes for 63 yards.

The Raiders’ Ryan Sikora made all six catches for the Raiders’ 135 yards, while the Wolverines got catches from Todd Goeders and Fehr off the throwback.

Leading the way for Ruthven-Ayrshire was Zach Loring with 101 yards off 20 carries, while Michael Sundall added 62 yards off nine carries. Trevin Enderson added five rushes for 41 yards and Kyle Toillion had seven carries for 19 yards.

For West Bend-Mallard, Andy Riesenberg ran 17

times and gained 104 yards while Ethan Fehr had 14 carries to pick up 56 yards.

On the defensive side, Ruthven-Ayrshire got 16 tackles from Colton Bakken and 10 stops from Calvin Pomeroy, who also had an interception. Michael Sundall added nine stops, while Kyle Toillion had eight tackles and a fumble recovery, along with Zach Loring, who also had an interception.

The Wolverines got 12 tackles each from Tanner Bruellman and Andy Riesenberg while Todd Goeders, Andy Riesenberg and Jack Riesenberg each recovered fumbles.

For the Raiders, the task this week is to prepare for Homecoming, as they will host the Thunder of Twin River Valley for Friday night’s Homecoming festivities in Ruthven.

West Bend-Mallard faces the unenviable assignment of preparing for and traveling to meet up with league-leading North Sentral Kossuth.