homepage logo

Knights’ Season Ends In Regional

By Staff | Feb 17, 2009

THREAD?THE?NEEDLE - Malorie Girres puts up a shot despite a triple-team during Graettinger/Terril’s 67-60 los to Bishop Garrigan in 1A Regional Tourney play Thursday night at Algona. -- Dan Voigt photo

ALGONA – Despite rallying from a 16-point halftime deficit, Graettinger /Terril’s girls basketball team came up shot in a 67-60 loss in the Class 1A Regional tournament play Thursday night. Coach Roger Conway’s Knights came within two possessions of defeating Bishop Garrigan, but ran out of time, ending their 2008-09 campaign with a 9-10 mark.

“I’m proud of the effort the kids gave. They never gave up,” said Graettinger/Terril Head Coach Roger Conway. “I thought we were in the ball game up until the last minute.”

Thursday’s contest, played in Friedman Auditorium at Bishop Garrigan, lived up to the typical tournament atmosphere, with a vocal crowd and players giving their all. But in the first half, it was the Golden Bears of Bishop Garrigan who held the hot hand.

After trading a pair of buckets to open the game, the Knights went cold as the Golden Bears when on a quick 9-0 run and would eventually take a 19-10 lead at the end of the first quarter of play.

Graettinger/Terril would see Bishop Garrigan extend their lead to a 37-21 lead at the intermission.

While many teams might have thrown up the flag at that point, the Knights dug in to fight in the second half. A 6-0 run to open the half was sparked by Malroie Girres with a pair of buckets and a follow-up basket by Theresa Peterson cut the deficit to 10 points.

After that point, the Knights would continue to match the Golden Bears in the period, staying within 10 points throughout the quarter, but trail 47-34 to start the final quarter.

With Girres on the bench after catching an elbow to the nose late in the third, the Knights had to find other ways to score points until Girres was able to re-enter the game midway into the final quarter.

With Graettinger/Terril trailing 51-36, Girres hit her first shot and Dakota Hovinga drained a pair of shots before Leah Flaharty added six consecutive points that brought G/T within seven points at 55-48. A layup by Girres cut the gap to five points with just over 2:00 remaining in the game.

Bishop Garrigan went into the delay mode, forcing the Knights to foul and put the Golden Bears on the charity stripe in the final minutes, but the Knights simply ran out of time as the Golden Bears earned the 67-60 final margin of victory.

Malorie Girres would lead the Knight girls with 23 points in the effort, while Theresa Peterson added 12 points and Leah Flaharty came up with nine tallies. Dakota Hovinga added eight points, with Tasha Neilson scoring five points, Lindsay Flaharty and Hailey Nelson both scored two points and Amanda Oleson added a free throw for one point.

Theresa Peterson led the Knights’ defense with 10 rebounds, while Leah Flaharty made four steals and dished out seven assists.

For the senior trio of Girres, Peterson and Leah Flaharty, their prep careers came to a close on Thursday night.

“The seniors provided good leadership throughout the year,” said Conway. “They worked hard and did what was asked of them.”