homepage logo

Finish Third In Team Race

By Staff | Feb 3, 2009

CLEAR?THE?ARM - E’Hawk Taylor Morris tries to clear an arm and escape from Jorge Hernandez of Storm Lake during the heavyweight finals. Morris would lose a heartbreaking 1-0 decision to Hernandez to finish second in the Lakes Conference Tournament Friday night at Spencer. The E’Hawks crowned four champions and finised third overall in the team points race. --?Dan Voigt photo

SPENCER – With four champions and a trio of runner-up finishes, the E’Hawk wrestling team earned a third place finish in Friday’s Lakes Conference Wrestling Tournament. Spencer would take the top honors with Sheldon-South O’Brien edging the E’Hawks for second place by a half-point.

The E’Hawks would get championships from Isaac Lundgren at 103, Justin Studer at 112, Joey Brandenburg at 145 and Joey Naig at 152 pounds. Earning runner-up finishes for the E’Hawks were Jake Morris at 189 pounds, Adam Leuer at 215 pounds and Taylor Morris at 185 pounds.

Jordan Cody would earn third place honors at 135 pounds, while Jake Stuffs finished fourth at 130 pounds.

Matt Weir, at 119, would finish sixth ath Ben McCain did not place at 160 pounds. The E’Hawks were open at 125, 140 and 171 pounds for the tournament.

At 103 pounds, Isaac Lundgren earned his first Lakes title with a :47 win by fall over Austin Bainbridge of Sheldon-South O’Brien. In the semi-finals, Lundgren pinned Murray Scott of Spencer in :57 after drawin a first-round bye.

It was much the same for Justin Studer at 112 pounds, After a first round bye, Studer tallied a 1;55 win by fall over CJ?Singer of LeMars in the semi-finals and then earned the title with an 11-9 decision win over Gabe Torres of Storm Lakes.

Joey Brandenburg would claim the conference crown at 145 pounds by pinning his way through the tournament. In the opening round, Brandenburg pinned Andrew Koehlmoos of Shedon-South O’Brien and then earned a :42 win by fall over Brandon Griffin of Spirit Lake Park. For the champioinship match, Brandenburg needed just :45 to pin Brayton Ringsdorf of LeMars to win the title.

The final E’Hawk championship came at 152 pounds as Joey Naig started his day with a 2:18 win by fall over Lee Bates of Estherville Lincoln Central. Naig then won a 10-5 decisioin over Knute Klinker of Sheldon-South O’Brien in the semi-finals, and then won the championship with his 7-5 decision victory over Matt Wilkerson of Spencer.

Emmetsburg/Armstrong-Ringsted/Ruthven-Ayrshire would get a trio of second place finishes, starting at 189 pounds, where Jake Morris opened with a 2:50 win by fall over Jake Larson of Storm Lake. In the semi-finals, Morris would earn a 2:41 win by fall over Max Stammer of Spirit Lake Park to set up his title match against Spencer’s Sean Elliott. Elliott would earn a measure of revenge over the E’Hawk, as he came away with a 16-11 decision over Morris to give the E’Hawk the second place finish.

At 215 pounds, Adam Leuer opened the tournament with a :36 win by fall over Josh Young of Estherville Lincoln Central and then won a 3:57 win by fall over James Granstra of Sheldon-South O’Brien in the semi-finals. For the championships, Leuer was matched against an old nemesis, Tyler Kacmarynski of Spencer. The two wrestlers battled to a 1-1 tie to start the final period, but Kacmarynski would score a pair of takedowns to earn a 7-2 decision win over Leuer.

Taylor Morris collected a :34 win by fall over Miah Back of Cherokee in his first match of the day at heavyweight. Morris would then earn a 10-6 decision win over Shea Heinrichs of Spirit Lake Park in the semi-finals. For the title, Morris wrestled Jorge Hernandez of Storm Lake, and lost a difficult 1-0 decision to settle for second place.

Jordan Cody capped off his Lakes Conference career with a a third place finish at 135 pounds. Cody started the day with a 3:57 win by fall over Rene VanWyhe of LeMars, but lost his semi-final match by an 8-5 decision to James Randall of spencer. Moving into the consolation bracket, Cody claimed a 3:30 win by fall over Jeff Tentinger of Sheldon-South O’Brien and in the consolation finals, pinned Jose Diaz of Storm Lake in 2:39 to earn the third place finish.

It was a tough tournament for Jake Stubbs at 130 pounds. Stubbs won his opening match over Michael Mohr of Storm Lake by an 8-7 decision, by a chronic bloody nose would force Stubbs to don a protective mask for the semi-final match with Anthony Schimek of LeMars. Stubbs would end up being pinned in 2:51 of the match, dropping into the consolation brackets. Stubbs rallied to come back with a 5-3 decision win over Cullen Andera of Spirit Lake Park, but in the consolation final, Stubbs would be pinned by Spencer’s Evan Quail in 3:19 to finish fourth for the E’Hawks.

At 119 pounds, Matt Weir was pinned in his first round match in :47 by Hayden Adkins of Sheldon-South O’Brien, but dropping into the consolation bracket, Weire earned a 4:25 Technical Fall with a 17-2 win over Matt DeWild of Western Christian. Weir would stumble in his next match, being pinned in 4:38 by Brian Gomez of Storm Lake before he was pinned in :27 by Rick Weaver of Cherokee to finish sixth for the E’Hawks.

The E’Hawks’ final representative was Ben McCain at 160 pounds. McCain was the victim of a pin in 1:14 by Storm Lake’s Ben Seaman, and in the consolation match, McCain was pinned in 3:36 by Brett Goldtrapp of Spirit Lake Park, eliminating the E’Hawk from the tournament.

The E’Hawks will spend their week in the practice room preparing for Saturday’s Class 2A Sectional Tournament at Algona. Teams wrestling at the secontional will include Clear Lake, Estherville Lincoln Central, Forest City, Lake Mills-Northwood Kensett, Algona and the E’Hawks. Action begins at 12 noon.