homepage logo

E’Hawks Take Fifth At Eagle Grove, Crown Two Champs

By Staff | Dec 9, 2008

WORK FOR THE TILT - E’Hawk 103 pounder Isaac Lundgren works to get fort Dodge’s Matt Birnbaum turned for some back points in the championship match of the Eagle Grove Invitational on Saturday. Lundgren won his first varsity tournament title for the E’Hawks as they finished fifth in the team standings.--Dan Voigt photo

EAGLE GROVE – The first tournament outing of the season resulted in a fifth place team finish for the Emmetsburg/AR/RA E’Hawk wrestlers on Saturday. The 70th Annual Eagle Grove Invitational saw the E’Hawks bring home two individual championships from the tournament, along with a pair of runner-up finishes.

E’Hawk wrestlers also collected a quartet of fourth place finishes and a fifth place finish at the tournament, but the accomplishments are short-lived as the E’Hawks face a huge week of action.

Emmetsburg/AR/RA will travel to Graettinger/Terril tonight (Tuesday) for a double dual with the Knights and the Generals of Sibley-Ocheyedan, before traveling to LeMars on Thursday for the first Lakes Conference double dual of the season against LeMars and Estherville Lincoln Central. Then on Saturday, the E’Hawks will host their own invitational tournament, starting at noon.

On Saturday, freshman Isaac Lundgren would start the E’Hawks out with a championship at 103 pounds, as he pinned Fort Dodge’s Matt Birnbaum in just :57 of the championship match.

Lundgren, who drew a first-round bye, pinned Matt Reed of Eagle Grove in the Semi-finals in 2:27 to earn his championship match and title.

At 189 pounds, Jake Morris also drew a first-round bye, but pinned Dillon Weatherman of Ballard in 1:09 of the semi-finals to meet up with Tyler Wingerson of Fort Dodge in the championship match, where he scored a 1:43 win by fall over Wingerson to earn the tournament title at 189.

Jordan Cody wrestled for the championship at 135 pounds against Tanner Weatherman of Ballard, but lost a 24-9 technical fall in 5:12 of the match to settle for second place. Cody had a bye in the opening round and then took a 4-2 overtime win over Ben Robinson of Ankeny in the semi-finals before losing the finals.

Adam Leuer also wrestled for first place at 215 pounds for the E’Hawks, but lost a 6-4 decision to Logan Johnson of Algona to settle for second place. Leuer also drew a first-round bye, and earned a 2:27 win by fall over Ballard’s Pierre Jones in the semi finals before losing the title match decision.

At 112 pounds, Justin Studer would finish fourth on the day. Studer had a first-round bye, but lost his semi-final match to Monty Arends of Fort Dodge in a 5:30 fall. Studer wrestled back and pinned Seth Clark of Ankeny in 3:45. In the consolation final, Studer was pinned in :30 in a rematch with Clark to take fourth place for the E’Hawks.

At 130 pounds, Jake Stubbs took a fourth place. Stubbs lost his opening round match to Brad Mickelson of the JV All Stars by a 2:41 fall, but drew a bye in the first round wrestleback. Stubbs then scored an 11-9 win in overtime over Keegan Nelson of Fort Dodge before moving into the consolation final against Mickelson, who pinned the E’Hawk in 3:13, giving Stubbs the fourth place finish.

Also finishing fourth was Joey Naig, wrestling at 152 pounds. Naig opened with a 1:00 win by fall over Ben Braesher of Eagle Grove. In the semi-finals, Naig lost a 10-3 decision to Cody Marsh of Fort Dodge, but came back to edge Brennan DeJong of Ankeny by an 8-7 tally to move into the consolation final against Kyle Walker of Algona, who scored a late escape and takedown to win a 10-7 decision, giving Naig fourth place.

At heavyweight, Taylor Morris had a first round bye, but was pinned in 3:03 of the semi-finals by Sean Spring of Fort Dodge. Morris then pinned Jacob Jamison of Eagle Grove in :58 and then was the victim of a 5:48 pin by Justin Decker of Algona in the consolation finals to take fourth place.

Justin Firkins would earn a fifth place for the E’Hawks at 125 pounds, as he started the day being pinned in :40 by Alex Wiseman of Algona. After drawing a bye in the first consolation round, Firkins was pinned in :43 of his match with Mondo Lindstrom of Eagle Grove to finish fifth outright.

Non-placewinners included Ben McCain at 171, who lost his opening round match with Brock Weatherman of Ballard in a :43 pin and then was pinned in 3:16 by Ross Larson of the Ballard JV.

At 140 pounds, Nate Schany lost a 17-2 technical fall in 4:00 of his opening round match to Tanner Hiatt of Ballard, before being eliminated from the tournament in a 13-7 decision loss to Cody Harrison of Eagle Grove in the first-round consolation round.

Rounding out the E’Hawks’ efforts was Matt Weir at 119 pounds, who was the victim of a 1:18 pin in the opening round by Cody dickerson of Oskaloosa. Weir then was pinned in 1:19 of the consolation first round by Thad Keller of Ballard to end his tournament appearance.