homepage logo

Claim 44-7 Win

By Staff | Sep 9, 2008

NO GAIN ON THIS RUN - Emmetsburg’s defense made lots of stops on the Northwood-Kensett offense like this during Friday’s 44-7 win over the Vikings. Assistant Coach Joe Carter’s defense limited the Vikings to 80 yards on the ground and 23 yards in the air during the contest, while the E’Hawk offense ran wild for 423 yards and got 58 yards in the air in the victory. -- Dan Voigt photo

Facing a completely unknown opponent didn’t seem to affect the Emmetsburg E’Hawks Friday as they came up with a resounding 44-7 victory over the Vikings of Northwood-Kensett. The non-district victory gives Coach Mike Dunlap and the E’Haws a 2-0 mark as they enter the Class 1A District Two slate this Friday on the road at Britt, meeting old foes West Hancock for the league opener. Afer a 36-0 season opening win against Spencer a week earlier, Coach Dunlap was concerned over Northwood-Kensett, a school that presented good size and a physical challenge to the E’Hawks. The E’Hawks managed to reassure their coach quickly enough in the contest, as they needed just :31 and two plays – a 59-yard kickoff return by Taylor Morris down to the six yard line and a six yard slash by Langston Jones for a score. A damp field, from afternoon showers and heavy dew, made th e kicking game tough for E’Hawk kicker Matt Wellik, as his conversion missed, giving Emmetsburg a 6-0 lead with 11:29 to go in the opening quarter. After a punt by the Vikings, Emmetsburg took over at their own 20 and drove downfield, getting a 26 yard touchdown run from Taylor Morris with 4:22 to go in the quarter. The conversion was blocked, giving Emmetsburg a 12-0 lead. Another three and out followed for the Vikings, and Emmetsburg went back to work, using a 43 yard catch by Trevor Dettmann with :18 to go in the quarter and Emmetsburg ended the quarter at Northwood-Kensett’s two-yard line. It only took two seconds for a two-yard plunge by Morris for the score to open the second quarter, and this time, Wellik’s kick was right down the pipe, giving the E’Hawks a 19-0 lead, leaving the Vikings standing with their hands on their hips, wondering what they’d gotten themselves into. TheVikings went three and out and Emmetsburg took over after the punt, driving down to the NK 12 yard line with 6:29 to go in the half. However, the E’Hawks stumbled, and facing a fourth and 12, turned the ball over on downs. Once again, the E’Hawk defense rose to the occasion, and forced another three and out for the Vikings, giving the E’Hawks the ball at the NK 40 yard line with 4:06 to play in the half. The E’Hawks crossed the midfield stripe on the next play, and with 3:14 to go in the half, Langston Jones erupted with a 38 yard run for a touchdown. Wellik added the kick for a 26-0 lead. With the snowball beginning to pick up momentum, a fumble by the Vikings would be pounced on by Trevor Dettmann, giving the E’Hawks the ball at the Vikings’ 42 yard line with 1:15 to go in the half. Emmetsburg used the turnover to their immediate advantage, as Tyler Kliegl would handoff to Morris, who juggled the ball twice before settling in for a 38 yard romp to the endzone with :51 to go. The kick failed, but Emmetsburg took a 32-0 advantage into the lockerroom at the half. Northwood-Kensett would take the kickoff to start the second half, but a fumble recovery by Langston Jones at the Vikings’ 35 with 10:02 to go in the quarter would quickly set up another E’Hawk strike. Tommy Kuecker came up wit a nice carry for the E’Hawks, giving Emmetsburg a first and goal at the four and a few seconds later, Kuecker would trot over the goal line from four yards out for a 28-0 lead after the conversion kick was blocked. With the game clock now running continuously, Northwood-Kensett would rip off a 75 yard kickoff return to the E’Hawk 20, but the defense held firm, turning the Vikings away on downs. With 4:34 to go in the third, Emmetsburg started upfield, and on second down, Kuecker exploded for a 61 yard run to the end zone for a 44-0 lead with 2:16 to go. The lead would hold to the end of the quarter, and the reserves took over the entire game for Emmetsburg to start the final quarter. Emmetsburg got the ball near midfield, but would have to punt. The defensive reserves were doing their best to keep the Vikings in check, but a pair of untimely penalties gave the Vikings good field position and some momentum. With 4:06 to go in the game, Northwood-Kensett was able to erase their goose-egg off a two yard touchdown run by Tyson Werner. The conversion kick by Nik Werner made the score 44-7 as the clock wound down for the second win of the young season for the E’Hawks. Taylor Morris led the offensive charge on Friday with 152 yards rushing on nine carries in the contest, while Langston Jones came away with 111 yards on 10 carries. Tommy Kuecker added 8w yards off four rushing attempts and Tyler Kliegl added 74 yards on five carries from the quarterback position. Joey Naig picked up 22 yards on four carries and Keaton Carter had three yards off three rushes. Tyler Kliegl would complete two of four passes for 58 yards, with Trevor Dettmann making a 43 yard reception and Langston Jones making a 15 yard catch. Overall, Emmetsburg ran away from the larger Viking line, racking up a total of 423 yards rushing off 41 carries, while Northwood-Kensett managed to gain just 80 yards off 38 carries. The E’Hawks’ 58 yards against Northwood-Kensett’s 23 yards made a total of 481 yards for Emmetsburg, opposed to 103 for the Vikings. On the defensive side of the ball, Bobby Mortenson and Matt Wellik both made six and a half tackles, while Tommy Kuecker added six stops. Taylor Morris made a quarterback sack, while Langston Jones and Trevor Dettmann both recovered fumbles for the E’Hawks. With the non-district slate out of the way, the E’Hawks will enter into the District slate, starting on the road this Friday at Britt against West Hancock. West Hancock moves up to Class 1A this season after playing the last two years in Class A..