homepage logo

E’Hawk Wrestlers Meet Tough Competition At Don Miller Invitational

By Staff | Dec 18, 2007

FORT DODGE – With a nine-team field of quality wrestlers taking to the mats at Fort Dodge Senior High School, the Emmetsburg/Armstrong-Ringsted E’Hawk wrestlers had to work hard for every placing they got at Saturday’s Don Miller Invitational. The E’Hawks would end up bringing home a single championship, along with a pair of second place finishes and a third place finish at the conclusion of the tournament. Emmetsburg/Armstrong-Ringsted also had a fourth, a pair of fifth place finishes along with a seventh and apair of eighth place finishes.

Overall, the E’Hawks ended up placing sixth in the tournament, trailing Ankeny, Fort Dodge, Council Bluffs Lewis Central, Bettendorf and Newton, and finishing ahead of Ames, Webster City and Sioux City East.

Matt Stillman earned the E’Hawks’ lone championship on Saturday at 145 pounds. Stillman begam the day with a :34 win by fall over Cory Woods of Bettendorf, and then pinned Josh Metz of Newton in :22 to earn his title opportunity. Meeting Nate Halverson of Fort Dodge in the title match, Stillman claimed a 17-7 major decision to win his championship.

At 152 pounds, Joey Naig would finish as the runner-upfor the E’Hawks. Naig began his day with a 9-6 decision victory over Trever Archibald of Fort Dodge, and then earned a shot at the title after he pinned Branson Versteegt of Newton in 4:40 of the semi-final match. In the championship match, Naig was paired up against Matt Vercio of Bettendorf. After battling the Bulldog wrestler even through two periods, Naig took a 3-2 lead in the final period, but Vercio earned a late takedown to slip past the E’Hawk for a4-3 deicision, giving Naig second place.

The E’Hawks also got a second place finish from Jake Morris at 171 pounds on Saturday. Morris started out the day with a :54 win by fall over Nik Rasmussen of Sioux City East, and then pinned Tyler Wingersen of Fort Dodge in 2:21 of the semi-finals. Bruce Skaggs of Newton was Morris’ opponent in the finals. Skaggs took a 6-2 lead after the first period, but Morris continued to battle and trailed 8-4 at the end of the second period. In the final period, Skaggs controlled the tempo of the match and went on to record a 14-6 major decision over the E’Hawk, giving Morris the runner-up finish at 171.

Adam Leuer earned a third place finish for the E’Hawks wrestling at 215 pounds. Leuer opened the tournament with a 3-2 decision win over Eric Speidel of Bettendorf, but in the semi finals, Leuer lost a 5-4 decision to Josh Crouch of Webster City and dropped into the consolation round. Meeting Tucker Slawson of Ankeny, Leuer earned a 3:35 win by fall to advance to the consolation championship where he faced Kyle Mohr of Council Bluffs Lewis Central. After the match was tied at 4-4 at the end of regulation, Leuer scored a takedown and then pinned Mohr in 5:25 to earn third place.

Wrestling at 119 pounds, Jordan Cody started out with a 2:22 win by fall over Tyler Schutt of Webster City, but in the semi-finals, Cody was pinned in 1:34 by Nick Trizzino of Bettendorf. Cody wrestled back against Chase Eggers of Newton and earned a 4:28 win by fall, but in the consolation championship, Cody met Travis Evans of Ankeny, but was pinned in 2:00 of the match to settle for the fourth place finish.

Joey Brandenburg would come home with a fifth place finish for the E’Hawks at 140 pounds on Saturday. Brandenburg wrestled a pigtail match to start out and earned a 7-2 deciaion win over Tyler Byers of Council Bluffs Lewis Central. Moving onward, Brandenburg was pinned in his second match in 3:20 by Tyler Middleton of Ankeny and dropped into the consolation brackets. Brandenburg would earn an 11-10 decision win over Brandon Patton of Newton, but then lost a 14-1 major decision to Mike white of Bettendorf to move to the fifth place match.Meeting Gabe Gill of Sioux City East in the fifth place match, Brandenburg made two takedowns in the final period to win a 4-3 decision for the fifth place.

Heavyweight Taylor Morris would also earn a fifth place finish for the E’Hawks. Morris started the tournament being pinned in :51 by Nate Rouse of Ankeny and moved into the consolation brackets. After earning a bye in the first consolation round, Morris met Jacob Jamison of Fort Dodge, but lost a 5-2 decision. In the fifth place match, Morris was paired up against Josh Evans of Webster City. Morris trailed through two periods of the match, but rallied in the third period to score a 10-5 decision victory and claim fifth place for the E’Hawks.

Nate Schany, wrestling at 130 pounds, would end up with a seventh place finish for the E’Hawks on Saturday. In the opening round, Schany was pinned in 2:49 by Cole Clarkson. In the consolation round, Schany lost an 8-3 decision to Thad McKeever of Sioux City East. Moving into the seventh place match, Schany would meet Eric Tolle of Webster City. Schany would come out and earn a 1:55 win by fall over the Webster City wrestler to take seventh place in the tourney.

At 103 pounds, Justin Firkins was pinned in :35 of the first round action by Kory Kistner of Sioux City East. Firkins went on to lose in his first round consolation match, as he was pinned in 1:24 of the match with Matt Blakely of Ames. Firkins would move into the seventh place match, where he wrestled Monty Arends of Fort dodge and was pinned in :28 to settle for the eighth place finish.

Also earning an eighth place finish on Saturday was Nick Larsen at 112 pounds. Larsen was pinned in :23 of the first round by Casey Sledge of Ankeny, and then was pinned in 2:19 of his match by Cord Mansker of Sioux City East. In the seventh place consolation match, Larsen was pinned in 1:17 of his match with Darrel Johns of Ames to finish in eighth place.

Jake Stubbs of Emmetsburg wrestled a pigtail match at 125 pounds to start on Saturday, facing Drew thomason of Newton, but lost an 18-12 decision to be eliminated from the tournament.

Tyler Schmeling, wrestling at 160, was pinned in 3:42 of his pigtail match by Jake Stoltenberg of Bettendorf to be eliminated from the tournament.