Ten Reasons Not To Care About Being Liked
There are those people in the world that wants to be liked by everyone. I’m sure you’ve come across them, those people that go out of their way trying to please everyone and agreeing with everything that is said to the point that you don’t’ really know how they feel about anything.
Excessively worrying about what others think can disturb your ability to feel at ease with yourself around other people. I have found a few reasons why you should not care what about being liked.
“Care about what other people think, and you will always be their prisoner.”~Lao Tzu
1. Life is too short to be worrying about whether this person or that person likes you.
2. Remember: most of the people you have contact with don’t think about you that much. With so much going on in the world, people are more focused on themselves than ever before.
3. People’s minds are always changing. That is one of the things that we have an advantage over other species is our ability to reason and to change the way we think about a topic.
4. Your life is not their business.
5. They do not know what is best for you. The only thing that will make you happy is being happy with. who you are and not who they think you are.
6. What’s “right” for them is probably not right for you.
7. What’s “right” for them may be the worst thing for you.
8. You will be the one to deal with the results.
9. You can’t please everyone.
10. Trying to please everyone can have the opposite effect.
There is not a thing wrong with wanting to be accepted. We all want to find that little piece of the world we belong in and that can be difficult. But you should never change who you are for the sake of winning someone else’s approval. Trying to change simply to be accepted can only make you look ridiculous in the eyes of the ones who know you.
You can only be the way that you are meant to be. One of the easiest things to do in life is being happy with who you are. My outlook has mellowed as I have gotten older but my core belief has remained the same: I have very few close friends in my life but I have made a lot of acquaintances down the path that I have traveled. Some people like me, some don’t and for me that’s fine provided I am not treated differently simple because I do not fit their version of the way I should be.
To that I say, “Like me or leave me, but I am happy with who I am and my life. I will treat you with the same respect as anyone else.”