homepage logo

County, City Receive Joint Grant Award

By Staff | Apr 11, 2013

The Palo Alto County Board of Supervisors learned the county and city will be receiving nearly $600,000 for a joint road project on the north edge of Emmetsburg. Palo Alto County Engineer Joel Fantz informed the board of the grant award from the Regional Transportation Council during the weekly meeting of the supervisors on Tuesday, April 9.

“We were very fortunate to receive funding in the amount of $580,000 for a 70/30 split to reconstruct N40 north from the golf course up to the railroad tracks and then north past Rockport Addition to 350th Street,” Fantz explained. “The county will stand 70 percent of the costs, with the City of Emmetsburg standing the other 30 percent.”

According to the engineer, the City of Emmetsburg received a grant of $221,000 to make a change to the intersection of College Drive and N40 to eliminate the west curve and make it a regular intersection as part of the project.

Fantz noted that part of the project would call for flattening out the east curve as part of the total reconstruction of the mile of roadway. “We will be working closely with the city in this project.”

According to Fantz, the funding was awarded for construction in 2017.

In other road-related business, the board approved the purchase of three new dump truck boxes for the Secondary Road Department. Three bids were received for the boxes, but the low bid for the boxes went to Crysteel of Lake Crystal, MN, for two stainless steel dump boxes and one conventional steel rock dump box, which is rounded for hauling rock. Also included in the bid were wing plow mounts for two new trucks purchased in March. Total bid amount from the Minnesota firm total $136,180. The bid was accepted and purchase of the equipment was authorized on a unanimous vote of the board.