Official Start Of Winter Prompts Travel Reminders
With the impending winter storm, the Iowa Department of Public Safety reminds motorists across Iowa that snow, wind, ice, fog and rain can make travel conditions difficult. The best rule is not to travel unless absolutely necessary!
Otherwise, remember the following:
* Always monitor the weather conditions before beginning your trip.
* Leave more following distance than usual between your vehicle and the one immediately in front of you.
* Bring a cell phone to use in case of emergency.
* Be careful when driving over bridges and overpasses, as well as roadways rarely exposed to sunlight. They are often icy when other areas are not.
* Be sure to keep your gas tank full. Stormy weather or traffic delays may force you to change routes or turn back. A full gas tank can also prevent your car’s gas line from freezing.
* Keep windshields and windows clear.
* Keep your tires properly inflated and remember that good tread on tires is essential to safe winter driving.
* Keep an emergency kit filled with blankets, non-perishable food, emergency signs, a flashlight and other useful items in your vehicle.
For the latest road conditions in the State of Iowa:
or dial 5-1-1 from any telephone.