homepage logo

Snowmobile And ATV Registrations Due

By Staff | Nov 18, 2008

It’s time to register snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles.

The 2009 registration renewal period for Iowa owners of snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) is open.

Registration renewals have typically been completed by county recorders and while the recorders will still be providing this function, owners may now renew registrations at any vendor that sells Iowa hunting and fishing licenses.

From Sept. 1, through Dec. 31, 2008, snowmobile and ATV owners may renew their vehicle registrations without penalty. Renewal fees for typical non-expired registrations are $15 (not including agent writing fees). Individuals must renew their registrations by Dec. 31, 2008, to avoid a $5 penalty. Registering early will help avoid long lines often seen later in the season when deer tag sales typically peak.

Individuals seeking to register a new snowmobile or ATV or transfer ownership of a vehicle into their name must still complete those transactions at their local county recorder’s office.

When registering and titling a machine, the DNR requests that individuals please bring the following information with them: the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for the machine and the make of the machine. It is also help ful to bring an Iowa DNR customer number (found on any hunting or fishing license) or a driver’s license. This information will be used to help build a customer record in the electronic license system and will assist with reducing customer wait times.

Owners of off-road utility vehicles (ORVs) should be aware that their 2008 registrations expire on Dec. 31, 2008. Individuals may purchase 2009 ORV Registrations beginning Dec. 15, 2008. ORVs are commonly marketed under brand names such as the “John Deere ator” or “Kawasaki Mule.” Off-Road Vehicles must be registered if they will be used for ice fishing or other approved uses on public grounds. Titling of ORVs is optional.