Being The Diffrence At Emmetsburg Middle School
The Emmetsburg Community School District is on a mission to improve our culture and climate within our staff and our students. Each month we will be selecting an E-Hawk Staff Member of the Month. This person is selected based on recommendations given to the superintendent on why they are “Being the Difference” for the Emmetsburg Community School District. January’s Staff Member of the Month is Sarah Brugman. Mrs. Brugman is a 5th/6th grade reading teacher.
Mrs. Christensen, Middle School Principal, describes Mrs. Brugman in the following way, “Mrs. Brugman goes above and beyond for students and our building initiatives. She doesn’t hesitate to lead the implementation of Standards-Based Grading, ensure our 5th and 6th Graders are FAST tested and progress monitored, and works to get these groups set-up and going. Mrs. Brugman is truly an example of “Being the Difference” for the Emmetsburg Community School District!”
Each Staff Member of the Month is asked to fill out a questionnaire so we are able to get to know them better. Please see Mrs. Brugman’s responses below:
1. Hometown: Whittemore, IA
2. Advice to other staff on how to “Be the Difference”: Love each student no matter what they say or do! It is our job to help them see what they can do and be! And…don’t be afraid to try new things. The kids will let you know if it worked or not.
3. Three Words to describe Emmetsburg Schools: Innovative, Hardworking, Fun
4. What is the most challenging part of your job? Not having enough time to do all I want with the kids!
5. What is the most unusual or interesting job you’ve had? When I was in college I worked the dock at Sears, loading and unloading merchandise. It was always fun when a man pulled up to get his newly purchased washing machine or refrigerator, and a 19 year old girl loaded it for him. They always felt silly.
6. Who would you like to be for a day? One of my students, so I could see what my classroom is like from their point of view.
7. What is an ability you wish you had? Dunk a basketball!
8. Name a fun fact about yourself: I was a good sprinter in high school and held school records for many years.
Congratulations to Mrs. Sarah Brugman on being January’s E-Hawk Staff Member of the Month!