Being the Difference – Erika Siefken
by Mrs. Amanda Schmidt
The Emmetsburg Community School District is on a mission to improve our culture and climate within our staff and our students.
Each month we will be selecting an E-Hawk Staff Member of the Month. This person is selected based on recommendations given to the superintendent on why they are “Being the Difference” for the Emmetsburg Community School District.
October’s Staff Member of the Month is Erika Siefken. Ms. Siefken is a special education teacher at Emmetsburg Middle School.
Mrs. Christensen, Middle School Principal, describes Erika in the following way. “Ms. Siefken has gone above and beyond in difficult situations, maintained her professionalism at all times and always does what is best for all students she serves! She has done a lot of schedule changing to make things work best for everyone.”.
Each Staff Member of the Month is asked to fill out a questionnaire so we are able to get to now them better. Please see Ms. Siefken’s responses below:
1.Hometown: Fenton/Lone Rock, Iowa but now loving Emmetsburg.
2. Advice to other staff on how to “Be the Difference”: Treasure the most difficult moments after the moment, because eventually it becomes an amazing story.
3. 3 Words to describe Emmetsburg Schools: Innovative, Positive, and Caring…(Home)
4. What is the most challenging part of your job? Paperwork and Politics
5. What is the most unusual or interesting job you’ve had? Granny Nanny
6. Who would you like to be for a day? I would like to spend a day as one of my students (past, present, and/or future) just to see what experiences they have.
7. What is an ability you wish you had? I’ve always said that I would like to have magical powers to help all students, but really just being able to cast spells would be sweet, plus who doesn’t want to wield a wand?
8. Name a fun fact about yourself: I sang at Carnegie Hall in NYC on Easter Sunday and I
have short big toes.
Congratulations to Ms. Erika Siefken on being October’s E-Hawk Staff Member of the Month!