As Emmetsburg prepares to host RAGBRAI for an overnight stay July 21, here are some thoughts about the annual event, compiled by veteran riders Greg and Steven Hoyman.
These "RAGBRAI?Moments" are intended to give people some insight into RAGBRAI and what goes on behind the scenes.
Church and VFW type food suppliers
These locations are different than food stands. They need to consider the following points.
1. Must advertise what you are serving, when you are serving, who the group is if not apparent.
2. Set a start time. Usually 3 to 4 for supper.
3. Know how many you plan on feeding, and be prepared for that many.
4. Types of food include. Lasagna, spaghetti, roast beef, beef and noodles, baked potatoes
5. Have good serving size
6. Provide lots of water, ice tea and lemonade also work.
7. If your location is air conditioned advertise that.
8. Provide other stuff to fill bikers up, such as bread and butter.
9. Dessert such as pie, cake and bars are usually provided and included, but some have charged extra for pie, also may have ice cream.
10. About 10% are vegetarians' and may request that so consider how you are going to handle that.
11. Have good sharp people taking the money and giving change. We have watched people not be able to do this and they take too long and can't make change
12. Salad is often provided.
13. Bikers are price sensitive but you need to make money.
14. Bikers often choose where they go by who the sponsoring group is.
15. Warn your workers they may have to park away and walk to location due to traffic.
16. Be sure shuttle bus comes near you.