As Emmetsburg prepares to host RAGBRAI for an overnight stay July 21, here are some thoughts about the annual event, compiled by veteran riders Greg and Steven Hoyman.These "RAGBRAI?Moments" are intended to give people some insight into RAGBRAI and what goes on behind the scenes.
FOOD STANDS ON ROUTE
Food stands along the route are a good place to make money and several companies come every year and do very well. Remember:
1. Bikers never stop going down a hill or right at bottom of hill
2. Bikers never stop going up a hill
3. is a big factor: heat and cold changes products that will sell
4. The day coming into Emmetsburg is short and people will not be looking for much except at the last town before Emmetsburg.
5. They tend not to stop when getting near overnight town.
6. Leaving Emmetsburg is a 70 to 100 mile day and no nearby towns. Food stands may do better that day.
7. Bikers are looking for the following in morning -- rolls, fruit, water, Gatorade, coffee.
8. You will not serve 10,000.
Volunteers are needed in all areas as Emmetsburg prepares to welcome hundreds of bicyclers to the community this summer. Find an area where you can use your talents and give Deb Hite a call at the Chamber Office 852-2283 and she will get you in touch with the right committee.