As Emmetsburg prepares to host RAGBRAI for an overnight stay July 21, here are some thoughts about the annual event, compiled by veteran riders Greg and Steven Hoyman.These "RAGBRAI?Moments" are intended to give people some insight into RAGBRAI and what goes on behind the scenes.
MY FAMILY AND RAGBRAI
1. Steven started when he was 12 in 1983 on RAGBRAI 11, Diane and her sister took Steve, his cousin and Jim Nelsons (the hospital admin.) son Jeff.
2. I started the next year 1984 and RAGBRAI 12
3. Steve has gone every year since 1983
4. I have gone every year since 1984 except 2004 when I had my bypass surgery.
5. Diane has gone every year since 1983 except 2004 when she stayed with me.
6. All of my children have ridden a number of years. Julie 14, Carla 18
7. All of my children's spouses have ridden some
8. All but one of my grandchildren have gone on RAGBRAI, and most have ridden some.
9. My last grandchild is going this summer.
10. Most think we are all crazy
11. Some of the best memories are when I rode with my children and now with my grandchildren and of course my wife.
12. We consider ourselves lucky that we have always been able to do this as a family.